During the second world war the Eye Infirmary gained prominence by receiving and treating the war casualties of the eyes from the Burma front.
In 1944, Dr. Kirwan was succeeded by Major E. J. Somerest. During his tenture in the early part of 1947, the teaching for the first batch of D.O.M.S course started.
After the Independence in 1947 Dr. T. Ahmed succeeded Major somerest as professor of ophthalmology and remained for one year. After the retirement of Dr. Ahmed, Dr. B.K. Dasgupta was the Head of the Department of Ophthalmology from 1948 to 1952.
In 1952, Capt. K.L. Sen succeeded Dr. Dasgupta under Dr. Sen guidance, there was all round improvement and upgrading of the various sections of the Eye Infirmary like Library, Pathology and Photography sections.
To improve post graduate teaching and research Capt. Sen established the institute of Ophthalmology in 1961. Dr B.C. Roy the then Chief Minister of West Bengal Inaugrated the Institute. M.S. (Ophthalmology) was started in the same year under Calcutta University.
Regional Institute of Ophthalmology was declared as Centre of Excellence by the then Honorable Chief Minister of West Bengal, Shri Buddhadeb Bhattacharya on 8th July 2003. This was mainly due to the hard work and efforts of Prof. Goutam Bhaduri, Director, RIO. We now have the latest instruments for diagnosis and treatment for e.g., LASIK, 3D OCT, Orbscan, Anterior segment OCT, GDx VCC, FDT etc.